Fringing

This is one of those love it or hate it trends.  But if you hated it last season, then you might find yourself warming to it this autumn, as this time round it’s grown up into something much more wearable and versatile.  The fringing from summer is still hanging around, so if you loved it like I did, then you’ll still find plenty of bags overloaded with it.  However, the fringed skirts and tops have all but gone and in their place are the far more conventional tassels, dangling from necklines, shoes, bags and belts. 

Moderation is the key to getting this look right.  Don’t be tempted to wear too many fringed items at once and make sure you keep the rest of your outfit simple.  It’s a trend that can be worked into your everyday wardrobe, if you’re careful and choose items that suit your own style.

This bag laden with fringes is perfect for my everyday style.  I wanted the bag to blend in with my outfit in a rock chick kinda way, so I’ve teamed it with my black skinnies, silk top, leather jacket and animal print pointies.

Bag – Topshop, £75
Silk top – Topshop, £35
Black jeans – Oasis, £48
Animal print shoes – Oasis, £40
Leather jacket – years old!
Ring – House of Harlow, £45
 For work, I like things to be a little more polished.  I’ve accessorised these tailored trousers and blouse with a tassel necklace and pair of statement tasselled,shoes.  They nod to the trend, but keep the look clean and simple.

Blouse – Monsoon Fusion, £48
Trousers – Zara, £29
Belt – Came with trousers
Shoes – River Island, £60
Necklace - Topshop, £12.50
This trend isn’t the preserve of festival goers; it really can be worked into your everyday wardrobe. But don’t forget, moderation is key, and less is more!

See my full column in this months Folio magazine.